Lemon Yogurt Cake with Raspberry Glaze

by - Saturday, May 02, 2015

Copyright @ http://inhappenstance.blogspot.com.au
Happy Weekend Everyone! The sun is out in Melbourne and there are hardly any clouds in sight. Today is the perfect autumn day so I hope all my Melbourne friends are out there enjoying it!

Now... let's talk about the photo above. As you can probably tell... this is not the savoury dish that I had hoped to present but yet another sweet baked treat. This time however, I made a sweet baked treat not from one recipe but instead a combination of two separate recipes.
This cake reminds me of spring and on a sunny autumn day, it feels very much like spring :)
Copyright @ http://inhappenstance.blogspot.com.au
This lemon yogurt cake packs a serious citrus punch!
This recipe 'idea' came from a lemon raspberry cake slice I had a few days ago (shared here on Instagram). I cannot explain exactly what I was expecting a lemon raspberry cake slice to taste like (would you believe I had never tasted that combination together before?!)but I was very much smitten by combination of flavours that I experienced from this lemon cake with pretty pink icing. This inevitably lead to the obsessive online search for a recipe so I could recreate the same flavours in my bake-at-home sweet treats.

For the lemon cake component, I had already had my sights set on this Lemon Yogurt Cake recipe I had booked marked a few weeks ago. It seemed like a simple fuss free recipe that I could whip up quickly to enjoy. As for the Raspberry glaze, it was unchartered territory - I had no specific recipe so I decided to whip up a glaze I thought worked in my head and 'hope for the best'.
Copyright @ http://inhappenstance.blogspot.com.au
Mixing up some 'hope-for-the-best' glaze
Copyright @ http://inhappenstance.blogspot.com.au
Best part - drizzling the glaze over the cake!

My friend, Rachel, kindly offered her assistance and tastebuds to this baking experiment. A baking session on a Friday afternoon sounded like the perfect way to hang out and spend time with each other (the best kind).

I was telling Rachel as I was paying for the 1kg of icing sugar and 500g of caster sugar that if I were to 'quit' sugar, it would be a complete tragedy. But funny enough, this recipe probably contains the least amount of sugar content in comparison to my other sweet baked goodies. 
Copyright @ http://inhappenstance.blogspot.com.au
Rachel doing some taste testing. Love that pretty pink against the pale yellow of the lemon cake.

So, here's the recipe below. It is sourced from two different recipes. Lemon Yogurt Cake & Glaze from this Lemon-Raspberry Cupcake recipe. 

I would definitely suggest that you inhale this cake when it is freshly baked with the glaze drizzled over (it gets a lovely crackle like a glaze on a donut).

RECIPE: LEMON YOGURT CAKE WITH RASPBERRY GLAZE

LOAF
2 lemons
1/2 cup caster sugar
100g unsalted butter (softened)
2 eggs
2/3 cup natural Greek yogurt
1 1/4 cups self-raising flour

LEMON SYRUP
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup caster sugar

GLAZE
2 cups confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice*
1 tablespoon raspberry jam
1 tablespoon natural Greek yogurt
*I would suggest adding 1 tablespoon at a time to taste

HOW-TO:
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C
  2. Grease loaf pan with softened/melted butter
  3. Finely grate rind of one lemon and set aside
  4. Juice 2 lemons and split the juice and set aside 2 tablespoons (for syrup) and 2 tablespoons (for glaze)
  5. Beat butter and 1/2 cup sugar until pale and creamy
  6. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
  7. Add yogurt and rind, beat until combined
  8. Gently fold in the sifted self-raising flour with a large metal spoon until combined
  9. Pour mixture into grease pan and smooth surface
  10. Bake for 20-25 minutes using skewer to check at 20 minutes. (it should come out clean)
  11. Remove cooked loaf from the oven and make syrup
  12. Make syrup by mixing 2 tablespoon of reserved lemon juice with 1/4 cup caster sugar in saucepan
  13. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
  14. Bring to boil and simmer over low heat for 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened/bubbling
  15. Pour hot syrup spreading evenly over warm cake and cool cake in pan
  16. To serve, turn the cake onto a serving platter and add glaze (or eat it as it is)
Copyright @ http://inhappenstance.blogspot.com.au
 Outtakes of Rachel testing the cake
Copyright @ http://inhappenstance.blogspot.com.au
Always time for a cuppa
This weekend, I plan to spend it with H without the distractions of what I will cook next. So there will be no food posts over the weekend but I will be back next week with more sweet treats and hopefully a savoury dish too! (no promises!) 

Next week is a big week for me as I gear up to return back to full time work. 
(holidays are officially over!).

Have a fantastic weekend!

x Lynnette

You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram