Food Rehab: Breakfast

by - Wednesday, June 24, 2015

A Low-GI cape seed loaf served with an omelette (cooked in coconut oil), slices of fresh tomatoes and smashed avocado with low fat ricotta. Super simple but very delicious! | in happenstance

I wanted to start motivating myself for my food rehab in July starting with the very first meal of the day, breakfast. This is the meal that many people would say is the most important meal of the day. (for me, it is dessert.) Having a balanced breakfast can help you kick start your day, make you feel good and sustain your energy levels, until lunch. (I also discovered in my research that having cake for breakfast does not count... boo...!)

In my mind, I often associate breakfast as a luxury meal. Reserved for long lazy weekends or a weekday off. On those special occasions, breakfast often turns into some form of decadent brunch filled with naughty and unhealthy choices. On an average day, I often skip breakfast as I am running out the door trying to catch my train to work and when the hunger pangs hit at around 10am, I am ready to gobble the first thing I can get my hands on. (usually a handful of biscuits from the office kitchen) 

I wasn't always like this. I can remember when I was a young kid, my mother would make us sit down and have breakfast together and it would often involve having the asian version of egg soldiers. Except there would be no pretty egg with the top cracked open exposing the delicious eggy goodness and fancy brown bread - our version was much more... rustic. Two soft-boiled eggs cracked into a bowl mixed with a few drops of soy sauce and white pepper served with white toast. I did not ever complain about that breakfast. It was a delicious and healthy breakfast that always reminds me of my childhood. When I go back to Malaysia for a visit, I often crave this exact version of egg soldiers just for pure nostalgic reasons.
This coming month, I am really aiming to kick start a few non-drastic changes in my life. To change my attitude towards food that is healthy and good for me and to also monitor and tweak my eating habits. This of course, starts with breakfast. Whilst, I love the idea of a green smoothie for breakfast, I think my body can only handle so many smoothies before my excitement for them dulls.

I have narrowed down a few ways to ensure that I am either eating breakfast before I leave home or as soon as I arrive at work. 
A Low-GI cape seed loaf served with an omelette (cooked in coconut oil), slices of fresh tomatoes and smashed avocado with low fat ricotta. Super simple but very delicious! | in happenstance
Eggs, Avocado & Tomatoes are versatile breakfast ingredients
1. To make sure that the staples for whipping up a quick healthy breakfast is always at hand and in the kitchen ready for cooking.  I am talking about eggs, avocado, tomatoes and healthy bread. Maybe even the Paleo/GF kind seeing H & I are beginning to suspect that we are displaying symptoms of glu-tardness. 

2. To make sure I have my back up breakfast ready at work. Step away coco crunch and fruit loops! I am looking at the healthy, sexy and homemade tupperware of GF muesli with some frozen berries (raspberries I am looking at you!) or some home made slices of bread to be popped into the freezer ready for breakfast. I currently have The Healthy Chef's paleo pumpkin bread baking in the oven as we speak!

3. To make sure that I have good sleep prep so I can wake up early, go for a run and have time to make breakfast. This is probably the most ambitious of all plans considering I am practically glued to my computer till bedtime, then my phone in bed and when I wake up, it is cold and wet in winter and I DO NOT want to get dressed and go for a run. But the getting up, turning on the heater and making myself breakfast should still be made a priority. I hope. 

Whilst H & I are not going completely gluten-free or paleo, I am very much looking forward to researching recipes and ideas to make delicious and healthy-ish breakfasts for H and I to enjoy.

Which brings me to these photos :) These were taken on two different breakfast cook ups and both turned out to be super delicious. Are they packed with goodness and good for me? I have no idea but I was pleased that we actually had some form of 'real' breakfast instead of a slice of cake, cookies or a Magnum (H's favourite)
A Low-GI cape seed loaf served with an omelette (cooked in coconut oil), slices of fresh tomatoes and smashed avocado with low fat ricotta. Super simple but very delicious! | in happenstance
A Low-GI cape seed loaf served with an omelette (cooked in coconut oil), slices of fresh tomatoes and smashed avocado with low fat ricotta. Super simple but very delicious!
If you follow me on Instagram, you will know that I have developed an love for Bagels. And with Huff Bagelry around the corner from where we live, we are blessed with being able to duck down and buy a $1 bagel and jazz it up any which way we please. 

A garlic & rosemary bagel from Huff Bagelry served up with some avocado, sunny side up egg (in all its yolky glory!) and a side of flash fried silver beet and tomatoes in coconut oil and chilli. | in happenstance
A garlic & rosemary bagel from Huff Bagelry served up with some avocado, sunny side up egg (in all its yolky glory!) and a side of flash fried silver beet and tomatoes in coconut oil and chilli. | in happenstance
A garlic & rosemary bagel from Huff Bagelry served up with some avocado, sunny side up egg (in all its yolky glory!) and a side of flash fried silver beet and tomatoes in coconut oil and chilli. This was glorious! H wasn't sure if I could finish this meal and I proved him wrong, I ate it like a boss.
So with June wrapping up in a less than a week, I need all the ideas I can get to get me and H into the healthy eating breakfast club so that we can all be cool breakfast club kids together. (such a good movie!) I would love to hear some tips and secrets to achieving a well-balanced and healthy breakfast and of course, any delicious recipes that you love or have created that I could try out. I can't wait for this meal to be my most important and favourite every morning and every day.

I hope you are all having a wonderful Wednesday!

x Lynnette~

You May Also Like

2 comments

Instagram